The Molasses Flood is looking for a whole bunch of people. We made The Flame in the Flood, and are looking for folks to help produce our next game. Our goal is to make games that live at the point where heart and soul meet rich systemic gameplay, and that take players to worlds that are unlike any they’ve seen before. We want to continue to expand our team with creative people who thrive on collaboration and supporting each of our own unique voices as creators.
We value unique voices and experiences, and encourage people from underrepresented groups to apply.
Positions are open to people who already have the ability to work in the U.S. We'd love to be able to hire people from all over the world, but unfortunately just don't have the resources to sponsor visas. Our office is located in Boston, MA, and all positions are full time on site.
We offer profit sharing, and great flexibility with working hours and in office requirements.
We need someone who’s adept at implementing game interfaces, particularly if it’s in Unreal. We’ve got a bunch of UI in this game that needs to be built, and we’re looking for someone who’s comfortable getting behind the scenes, wiring it all up, and making it work. We’d like someone who’s collaborative, has good general game design instincts, and is excited about getting to own a major and super important part of the game.
This is a full time salaried position.
- Design and implement the in game interface
- Work with design and engineering closely in the process of creating the UI
- Conduct and respond to usability testing
- Comfort with UMG, or similar visual scripting UI systems
- Experience with wireframing, designing screen flows
- An understanding of game UI approaches and best practices
- Dealing with platform requirements for UI
- Technical expertise in building sustainable and extensible systems
Nice to have
- Graphic design experience: if we don’t need to get someone else to handle this part, that’d be great, but your ability to implement the functionality is more important than making it pretty.
- Game design experience: so much of UI design IS game design.
- C++ or related experience: If you’re unfamiliar with blueprint or UMG, they’re basically a node based version of C++. Existing know how with programming will be immensely valuable in getting up to speed fast.
- Experience implementing a UI in a commercial title
+Artist - 2D Generalist
Maybe you’re a concept artist who has graphic design skills, a UI artist who has an interest in texture painting, or an illustrator who has made art for branding/marketing. We’re a small team and we’re looking to hire people who can wear lots of hats. You don’t need to tick all the boxes but you should be eager to step outside your comfort zone.
This is a full time salaried position.
- Deliver high-quality, stylized 2D art with a keen eye for consistency.
- Be able to conceptualize, present and execute ideas within a tight schedule
- Work with the art director to ensure artistic unity across the game.
- Collaborate with everyone on the team in achieving the overall vision of the game.
- A get it done autonomous attitude: We’re a small team, so everyone needs to be willing and able to self direct and take on a wide variety of tasks based on the need of the moment.
- A good communicator: the ability to express yourself clearly both verbally and in written documentation
These are the types of high quality creation skills we are looking for but the right person doesn’t need to tick all of them:
- UI art assets consistent with a visual style
- 2D materials for marketing and branding
- Stylized texture painting
- Signage creation in the game world
Nice to haves:
- Experience in game production with any of the skills listed above.
- Demonstrated experience working in stylized art styles.
- Expert level proficiency in Photoshop, Illustrator, Flash (or similar programs).
- Traditional art background.
- Strong graphic design background.
- 3D art and game engine experience.
Feel free to apply via the form below, or via email: firstname.lastname@example.org
The Molasses Flood is a team of industry veterans based in Boston with years of experience in AAA development. We formed our studio after the closure of Irrational Games. Our debut title was The Flame in the Flood, an award winning game in which you travel a flooded riverland by raft, trying to survive with only your faithful dog at your side. We are currently working on our next project.